Tuesday, March 26, 2013

What's up with...

A part of my job is planning meals that meet USDA guidelines. I try to make the meals / snacks healthy, delicious and something the children will eat.

The other day I was browsing on Pinterest for healthy snack and lunch ideas. Unfortunately, what I found was disturbing to say the least. I found food that was made to look like cartoon characters and objects. It was ridiculous.

Tuna salad in peppers and cucumbers...


Children should eat food because it's healthy and tastes good not because it looks fun. What happens when they go somewhere else to eat and their fruit is not in the shape of a palm tree?




And we wonder why children have issues with food. whether it being their pickiness or overeating junk food. Food should be food. Food should look like food. Remember there are many many children that don't get to eat every day. There are children that only get to eat at school.



I apologize if you are one of those mom's that go above and beyond to make your child's meals special by creating characters out of bread. I just don't get it. But then again, I'm not a mom. I'm just someone who sees children everyday that would do anything for a filling meal.

previous next

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...