Sunday, January 6, 2013

It's Not Going to Be Easy

Last week Bill and I began our journey to better health.

One thing I know for sure about this little journey is that it's going to be HARD. I know I'm not going to just wake up tomorrow without a craving for a delicious cookie, cake, candy bar... you get the point. I imagine it's going to be one of the most difficult things I've ever done.

My starting goals: I think it's important to start with just a few goals and add more as you go. I'm starting with three goals.

1. Eat less sugar! Sugar is one of the most addicting substances on the planet that isn't banned. Yes, it's just as addictive as cocaine and heroin. This goal is going to be the hardest goal for me to achieve because my favorite meal of the day is dessert.

2. Eat three full meals a day + three nutritious snacks. No grab and go nonsense. None of this "I didn't have time" crap. Three meals and at least three snacks throughout the day.

3. Drink more water. I always have a glass of water nearby - whether it's on my desk at work or the end table at home. But I imagine I only drink about 24 oz. a day. That's not great. My goal is to drink 80 to 100 oz. of water a day. Beginning with drinking lemon water as soon as I wake up in the morning. I'm sure I'll be visiting the bathroom more often - I'll be cleansing my system out.

So, those are my three goals.

As I type this I can't help but think of the things that I going to miss eating. Luckily, Bill and I watched a great documentary called "Hungry for Change." You can stream it on Netflix. Watching these health experts talk about dieting and sugar addiction was a wake up call. Don't get me wrong, I know diets don't work and I eat way too much sugar. What I didn't realize was that sugar is so addicting. I'm envious of those people who "just don't crave sweets." That's ridiculous. 

One of the things I took away from that documentary was that by telling yourself you can't have something you only want it more. I learned that if you tell yourself that you don't want something because.... for whatever reason you will stop feeling so "robbed."

In the coming days/ weeks / months I'll be sharing some "treat" alternatives and meal plans that my husband and I are following. 

*Bill is actually doing a 6 week detox while I am not doing a true detox and just changing the way I eat.

Enjoy your day!

Anonymous said...

This was a great post! I am also working on changing my diet and working out more. I started this about two weeks ago and I have not been craving sweets and sodas like I thought I would!

Good Luck :)

Liz said...

I am wising you so much luck Laura and Bill! I can't wait to hear about how it goes- you and I have similar goals. I can't wait to read about your journey and get some tips later on when you post them!
Have a great week!
-Liz

Something Infinitely Interesting said...

Those are really great goals... i have finally after some time, trained myself to eat 5 meals a day. At first its hard, but if you just prepare to have an apple or orange or carrots or some kind of snack. Once its there its like damn i have no other choice. :) Trick your mind!

Also lots of water..i have come to love love love water... but i do crave a coke once in a while.


Good Luck girly! we all on the same misson.

xoxo
Lisa

previous next

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...