Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Romantic Comedies

Do you ever wonder what we see in romanic comedies - you know, the ones that have you rooting for the adulterer or wishing you were the hooker? Seems strange when you read it, doesn't it?

Last night my husband and I went to a play called, Same Time, Next Year. It's about two people who have an extramarital affair one weekend every year for 24 years. As we walked out of the theatre I told Bill that I really liked the play. That's when he really made me think about the types of characters you root for. He said, "It's kind of weird to enjoy them cheating on their spouses." I agree. 100%. But, that doesn't change the fact that it made me want them to end up together... eventually.

After the play, I started thinking about all of the other movies/plays that have you wanting something that you should never want.


Pretty Woman. I love this movie. Seriously love it. I wanted to BE Julia Roberts character in the movie. After seeing it for the first time (when it first came out in 1990) I wished that that would happen to me. I wanted the Pretty Woman experience. The shopping, the dinners, the clothes, and the romance. At the time I didn't think about the fact that I wanted to be someone who was paid for sex. Yup.


How about My Best Friend's Wedding? You find yourself hoping that Julia Roberts character wins the guy. Never mind that means that she has to rip apart a relationship in the process. Seriously. 

Or even Titanic. It's such a beautiful love story but, when you get right down to it, Rose was cheating on her husband. I know he was a "jerk." Should that matter?

I could go on and on. And I really want to but, I'll spare you the lengthy post.

I don't know what made me get up on my moral high horse all of a sudden. I guess after being at a wedding this weekend and seeing how they were meant for each other and thinking about Bill and I  - I just hope Same Time, Next Year never happens to me.
previous next

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...